Starting from today onwards, all our new 360° virtual tours and photos will be incorporated with the new multi-resolution feature! This marks a departure from the screen dependent resolution standard that we have used for the past 3 years in order to cater for mobile devices, and it is just about to make our works a whole lot clearer.
After close to half a year of testing and making sure this feature works across all devices and HTML5-compliant browsers, the benefits of this new feature are manifold:
- Clearer images when zoomed in (Still some ways short of the actual hi-resolution images taken by us)
- Faster loading
- Future proof – all the new hi-resolution tablets, laptops, mobile devices, and VR screens can take advantage of the added clarity due to the resolution increase
- More immersive experience for audience
- Greater fidelity in details
A simple explanation of multi-resolution vs the old screen dependent resolution:
- Will load the appropriate resolution automatically as viewer zooms in or out
- Will always pick the highest resolution that is most suitable for increased clarity
- Loading times will be shortened as server only needs to send the appropriate resolution images at intervals
SCREEN DEPENDENT RESOLUTION:
- Resolution does not change as viewer zooms in, leading to clarity loss
- Will only load one resolution level calculated based on the screen resolution of the viewing device
- Will not pick the highest resolution, rather the resolution that is closest to the screen resolution
For clients in the past one year, we will be contacting you all shortly to offer a free re-render of your existing 360° virtual tours or photos if you are keen. We ourselves are pretty excited about getting even higher definition out of our own works!